Importance of CPAP cleaning tips for new patients:
CPAP machine helps cure sleep disorders by controlling the air pressure throughout the night as you sleep. Therefore, its cleanliness is paramount. Failure to keep your CPAP machine clean may cause a buildup of bacteria. You may even spot mold on the equipment, causing a foul smell. Instead of treating, the machine may cause you problems such as allergies, respiratory issues, and others. Moreover, the functioning of the equipment may get interrupted due to poor conditions.
To avoid such situations, here are some CPAP cleaning tips for new patients
- Always wear a mask on a clean face. Wash your face with a good cleanser to remove excess facial oil that might contaminate the mask.
- When it comes to masks, use unscented wipes, or specific pre-moistened towels, designed to clean the mask.
- If your CPAP cleaning machine comes with a humidifier, make sure you keep it clean as bacteria is most likely to accumulate in this component. You can clean it by using water and vinegar solution. Take equal parts of warm water and vinegar and fill the tank with this solution. Let it soak for a while for effective cleansing. After rinsing it well, dry-clean it with a soft towel.
- Make sure you keep the humidifier empty when not in use. Letting water sit in it the whole day may contaminate the unit. Fill it with clean water daily just before bedtime.
These were some daily CPAP cleaning tips for new patients. However, regular maintenance is important on a weekly or fortnightly basis for the effective functioning of the machine
- Disassemble the CPAP machine, separating the tubing, mask, and headgear. Fill a tub with warm water and a few drops of mild detergent. Soak all the parts in the tub, swirling them for about five minutes. Rinse them very well. Let them dry in clean air. Perform this cleaning activity regularly. During winter or flu season, do this cleaning activity more frequently.
- When cleaning electrical components such as hoses, take precautions. Go through the manufacturer’s guidelines carefully regarding cleanliness and maintenance.
- To air-dry the components, you can hang them on the shower rail or door.
- One of the most useful CPAP cleaning tips for new patients is to make this care a part of your daily morning ritual. Keeping the machine clean is the same as keeping the air that you breathe in bacteria and dust-free.
- Do not place the machine or its components under direct sunlight. Even if you want to dry the equipment or its parts, never do that in direct sunlight as it may damage the machine.
These were some useful CPAP cleaning tips for new patients